Saturday 24 June 2017

Fixing and fettling

It's just two weeks to departure on our big summer cruise (of which more anon) and there's quite a lot of little jobs need doing on Pagan before we're ready to go

One important job has been a bit of a nuisance. I noticed when Jane and I were out and about a few weeks back that the ring bolt to which the starboard genoa sheet block is shackled was loose. Not good!

Getting at it has involved the removal of several lining panels and the locker front above the starboard berth in the aft cabin and created a fair old mess in the process. The bolt has now been rebedded and tightened plus I've added a locking nut to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Now all I have to do is reassemble the cabin and clean it up again!

(This coming off-season, I'm going to have to work around the boat and remove, clean up or replace and re-bed every deck fitting. There are obvious signs of rust stains on the deck around over a third of the fittings which is indicative of water getting under the fittings. With a cored deck, this is not good)

I also had my doubts about the condition of the engine battery so it was out with my drop tester. My drop tester promptly failed in a shower of sparks! Looks like it's dead (it's burnt out which shouldn't happen). Whilst the battery voltage seemed OK, it only just managed to start the engine. I've pretty much made up my mind to bin it and buy a new one for the peace of mind if nothing else.

That led me to a job I've been meaning to do for some time ...

I upgraded a 100A NASA BM1 battery monitor to a 200A BM2 a while back on SV Laurin to suit their new 120A high output alternator. I acquired the old unit intact and it's been sitting in a box for months

So today I set about cutting out a hole in the battery compartment, mounting the display and wiring in the shunt ...

It was a lot more conveninent to mount the display on the side of the battery box under the navigators seat than up on the switch panel which is running out of space. It's not quite as instantly visible as I'd ideally like but it does the job

It will doubtless prove useful because we found that after three days "off grid" we were starting to run short of electrickery and I want to monitor our usage to determine the best solution.

(We need solar panels above all else but I need to work out what capacity will meet our needs. I can do it theoretically but far better to base it on our actual usage)

There's more fettling to be done but tomorrow I've been invited to go racing and next week looks busy work wise so it'll have to be fitted in as and when





2 comments:

  1. Regarding the solar panels, my (unsolicited) advice is to work out as best you can your average daily A/H consumption and then fit more solar wattage than you need. That way, when the sun doesn't shine all day (doncha just love British summers?) you still have a good chance of getting your battery bank through the Bulk and Absorption stages of charging. Also, I can recommend the Victron MPPT solar charge controllers and www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill,

      We're limited on space so we probably can't realistically fit enough solar for all our needs. The benefits of MPPT really on start to kick in with bigger panels wired in series or series-parallel to get the higher voltage for them to work off effectively so I'll probably settle for a PWM controller. Not going to happen this year anyway cos we haven't got the pennies :)

      Delete