Friday 27 May 2016

Fambridge Lamp-oons Vacation

So I've got a day or two off from working on other people's boats.

Time to relax? Put my feet up? Take it easy?

Nope, not a hope

Having driven up to Kettering yesterday and cleared out the last of our stuff from the storage facility, it was back on the road at an ungodly hour this morning

Once back on board, we both had heads on pillows pretty damn quick!

I was up around half nine, Jane surfaced a couple of hours later.

Fortified by coffee, we had a walk through the boat discussing refit plans. All bar one of my ideas met with approval (my tentative thoughts about changing the arrangement of the saloon lockers was given the thumbs down but I wasn't entirely convinced myself on that one)

We had a few thoughts about the aft cabin which involved trying out different sleeping arrangements. A cross double seemed to work quite well given that we both dozed off whilst trying it out!

So, we're close to formulating a cunning plan of which more anon

To get the ball rolling, I set about replacing the bulkhead oil lamps in the saloon...



The old lamps, whilst a rather nice design, were rather tired with stiff wick winders and a missing chimney on one of them. The pattern of chimney in question is not readily available and I'd decided to replace the lamps with new Fastnet lamps for which the chimneys are widely stocked by chandlers

It was one of the easier jobs on the boat and soon done...



With that task completed, I made a start on adding the new (expensive!) components to the Tacktick micronet system.

The first task was to decide where to mount the fluxgate compass head and after some cogitation I went for screwing it to the inside of the saloon table upright just beneath the bottle locker

The fluxgate needs to be at near add possible to the centre of motion of the boat and as far from anything that could affect the magnetic field as possible. The chosen location is about as good as we're going to get on both counts

I got as far as screwing the fluxgate head to the table leg and then it was time to call it a day and head for the pub

We'd decided to treat ourselves tonight and the steaks were indeed a treat

Back aboard, Jane was away with the fairies. I decided to try out the new lamps...



Not bad, not bad! They'll probably get relocated by a few inches when we sort out the saloon but I'm not to displeased with them

Oh and I forgot to mention that once again there's rather a lot of fresh water in the bilge. We're going to have to deal with the water tank issue sooner than we'd hoped. Hey ho, so far it's the only unexpected problem. There's bound to be others, that's boats for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment