Tuesday 5 July 2016

Under pressure ... wash

I was up pretty early for me and set about sorting out some tools and tidying up the container and the van

As promised, Wiggy and Adam were round early doors to pressure wash the hull and move Pagan to her temporary home in the yard ...

It was blowing a bit of a hooly and I hadn't slept that well so I decided to have a nap which turned into several hours sleep!

Once refreshed with coffee, I headed up to the DIY store for some paint stripper and a big scraper

I'd mulled it over and decided that the thick layers of old anti-foul has to come off sooner rather than later and it might as well be done now rather than put off

Lathering the starboard side with the stripping gloop didn't take long and then, after a coffee break, I started back at the beginning with the pressure washer and scraper to see what came off








The results aren't great. The paint stripper is not very effective and I think I'll have to buy the expensive stuff

However, it did soften up the top couple of layers at least and the pressure washer shifted a fair bit more in patches - one of the reasons for getting rid of it before applying a fresh coat of expensive antifoul is that I don't want it failing due to the old stuff falling off

What I could have done without it finding that a few patches of the topsides paintwork are peeling off. Plus there's several runs and cracks in the paint. I'll have to decide whether it can be touched up, at least for now, or whether we're going to have to repaint the whole of the upperworks while we're out

If we have to repaint it's likely to scupper our plans to go sailing in August. It's going to be a push to get everything done in 3 or 4 weeks as it is.

The bigger puller arrives in the morning so it'll be back to trying to get the prop off tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment