Tuesday 12 July 2016

We're no longer shafted



It's taken ten hours of fiddly awkward work but step by step I've managed to ease the shaft out of the coupling

The method is simple enough. Stick a socket or bolt between the gearbox coupling plate and the end of the shaft and do up temporary bolts to push the shaft out

Restricted access however meant that I had to do it in stages starting with long bolts then swapping them for medium bolts and the again for short bolts before starting the whole process again with a longer socket between the shaft and gearbox

It's not a job I'd want to do again in a hurry!

In breaks between bouts of winding, I got the orders in for the new parts and bolts. To save faffing about, I've ordered a new split coupling which is costing less than £60. It will save no end of time trying to drill the bolts out of the old coupling

Tomorrow I'll need to tidy up the cockpit before doing anything else. Then, if the weather improves, I'll go back to removing antifoul for a day or two. That's no fun either but at least it's a variation in savage amusement!

No comments:

Post a Comment