Monday 17 July 2017

Sojourn to the Solent - Days 6 & 7

Frankly, the less said about yesterday the better!

We left Eastbourne early in some hope of having a reasonable day after I'd walked down to the seafront to find a gentle breeze and an equally gentle swell on the sea

By the time we'd got going and through the lock, the wind had picked up and so had the sea state.

We bounced our way around Beachy Head after which the conditions worsened to the point where I'd frankly had enough. I think Glen had too although he was prepared to carry on if I wanted to

I decided to close the coast at Shoreham and see if we'd be able to get in (Brighton and Newhaven were out, Newhaven because they've no room for visitors and Brighton because it was too close to low water)

Calling up Shoreham harbour, I ascertained we'd have to wait at least an hour if not longer for enough water to get in. Given that we'd found the conditions were a little better inshore we agreed to press on

I flirted with motor sailing with the Mizzen and genoa which worked well on one tack, giving us significantly more speed, but we lost everything gained on the other tack so I gave up and accepted it would be another day of motoring

Suffice it to say that all things come to an end and we made it into Haslar early evening.

Glen knocked up some dinner and we had a couple of beers before retiring early

This morning, Glen headed off to catch the train and I set about tidying up on board. I had intended to go over to the Navy Yard and visit the Mary Rose exhibition but I decided a relaxing day on board was a more attractive proposition

I did take a walk up to the pier to wave to inbound friends heading upriver though. Hopefully I'll catch up with them later

The weather has been glorious today, by the way! I hope it stays that way now

PS There's no photos cos I was too busy to take any. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment