Thursday 6 July 2017

Stepping it up

Preparations go on apace for our big summer cruise. It's taken a surprising amount of time to sort out the boat, she really had got untidy (mostly behind the scenes). Now every single locker, wardrobe and storage space has been emptied, cleaned and re-stowed. In the process, I've turfed a fair bit of stuff off the boat, some of which will need to come back aboard when we get back, some of it for good

Our crew are all rather short in the leg department and there's been complaints about the step down into the aft cabin. I confess that it was a reach even with my normal length legs! So I set about knocking up a set of steps out of materials I had to hand ...


The result is functional rather than pretty but it does the job.

When I come to refit the aft cabin properly, I'll use better quality materials and do a proper neat job of it (although if time permits I'll slap a coat of stain and a couple of coats of varnish on the Mk.1 version for show)

The aft cabin also now has working lights! One of the original spots has been resurrected over the port berth and I've temporarily installed a white/red dome light above the starboard berth (that light will eventually go on the deckhead with new spots over the berths)

All that remains to be done that must be done is to tidy up the cockpit and give the decks and cockpit a damn good clean. Oh and the outboard needs checking as I suspect it needs a new spark plug

There are also a couple of relatively minor jobs I'd like to get done before departure if time permits but they are not essential.

So we're nearly set for departure on Tuesday evening, now all we need is suitable weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment