Tuesday 6 September 2016

Proper preparation. Oh and some fettling

.Since last I posted, I've spent two more days filling, fairing and sanding the topsides dealing with all the dings and scratches Pagan has picked up over the years. Given that the weather wasn't suitable for painting (mainly far too windy) it was time well spent

Then Sunday was all about a thorough clean to get all the sanding dust off. Simply pressure washing wasn't cutting the mustard and it needed a proper inch by inch hand wash to clean up properly ready to paint

Today (Monday) though wasn't the day for it. It started off wet and although it dried up later the humidity and dew point stayed stubbornly high until late afternoon

So it was down into the engine bay to fettle all the things in the list that needed doing before we relaunch

The first task was to sort out the throttle linkage between the Morse lever and the engine. Whilst the engine idles at about 900rpm, the lever wasn't fully closing the throttle which meant we were whizzing along at around 1500rpm rather too quickly for close quarters maneuvering

After investigating the problem, I found the Morse lever wasn't set up properly. I don't much like Morse controls at the best of times and a badly set up one is guaranteed to make my blood boil.

Once it was set up right the problem was solved although it will require an engine test to check it

The next job was to try and get some lubrication down the steering cables to see if the rather heavy steering could be freed up. It's fiddly as the access is very awkward but I got a fair bit of oil down the cable sleeves and it certainly seemed to help. The steering still isn't light although I've nothing to compare it with. I suspect I'll be coming back to this one

Then the last critical job before we launch was seen off. That was to fit a temporary breather to the PSS gland. When I sort out the engine plumbing to fit the calorifier (hot water tank) I'll plumb a water feed in to the stern gland but for now it needs a breather to prevent airlocks which would starve it of lubricating water (which it will for now draw up the stern tube)

And I was surprised and pleased to find that the graphics had arrived already. I ordered name and number graphics on Thursday and they were delivered this morning. Can't apply them until the paint is cured and it isn't even painted yet!

All in all, a good few days work



The engine bay with the new shaft coupling, PSS gland and temporary breather. All ready to go as long as nothing leaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment